(This is a guide. All links are to good quality information, in most cases to studies.)
Self-management is co-created organizational model that differs from collective, hierarchical, or militaristic organizations. It is supported by more than a century of practice and rigorous field and theoretical research in multiple fields. Please follow these links to learn more about organizational empowerment in:
It produces profit and benefits for small and large enterprises, and is being simultaneously developed in organizations around the world . Regional economies around the world depend on such organizations and skills, from family rice farms in China to much of the economy of Prince Edward Island since the 1970s. in Quebec, the Ministry of the Economy and Innovation (MEI) and many other stakeholders are mobilizing to train and support Quebeckers in these practices.
Some synonyms include: self-management, horizontal management, sociocracy, participatory democracy, agile management.
How it works
Each of us is empowered through qualification process to take any decision to meet a challenge or opportunity for the organization, with a duty to consult.
The duty to consult rests with the decision taker, and they must consult not only with appropriate experts within and outside of the co-operative, but also with any people who may be affected by the decision.
We prioritize our actions as per their effect on the planet, people, and profit. In that order, because without the first we don’t have the next.
In case of conflict, the concerned people have 3 levels of recourse:
- Taking the time needed to talk it out together
- Asking a colleague to hear and mediate
- Ask a council of colleagues to decide
It depends on these assumptions
We trust each other.
People working with us want the organization to succeed in its efforts.
Radical transparency allows people to bring their whole selves to work and in particular fosters the critical feedbacks that feed innovation.
We can reduce work hours, be flexible to the myriad and changing needs of our colleagues.
Sharing resources enriches everyone.
Such organizations require modified resource allocations
- Salaries and purchasing are set by the person or people concerned
- Much larger training budget
- Some people can’t adjust to taking responsibility, but generally people can and do
- Significantly modified intake process for new colleagues, takes up to 18 months
- Upstream and Downstream ecological or social considerations take precedence over internal profit considerations
- More complex to finance – is built around partnerships, particularly instead of traditional supplier/client relationships
They outperform the competition
These models are out-producing their traditionally-run competitors on standard metrics like profit and growth as well as on resilience in the face of change, corporate longevity, client loyalty, and employee retention.
Self-Management is Co-Creation
Developing self-management practices follows a somewhat unique path in each organization, based on the changing needs of the people and the project over time. At Print our Home, it’s a pleasurable and profitable work in progress.
Here are some leads and links to research for further study. We particularly recommend the first set of links, by Fréderic Laloux.
Fréderic Laloux: Summary English http://www.reinventingorganizationswiki.com/Teal_Organizations , Summary French http://4emesinge.com/lemergence-dun-nouveau-paradigme-de-gestion-frederic-laloux/, Book English https://www.amazon.ca/Reinventing-Organizations-Creating-Inspired-Consciousness/dp/2960133501 , Book French http://www.reinventingorganizations.com/fr.html , Video English https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcS04BI2sbk, Video French https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZKqPoQiaDE&t=154s
UK Co-ops: https://coopseurope.coop/share-benefits-six-benefits-cooperatives-development
PEI Evangeline region: https://books.google.ca/books?id=hhAjHk845UkC&pg=PR2&lpg=PR2&dq=pei+evangeline+region+cooperatives&source=bl&ots=hF3lC-WISo&sig=odZfS2r989ADQBdcolk6gJxscnk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwib4-q3jqjXAhUIzWMKHb3hA70Q6AEIRzAF#v=onepage&q=pei%20evangeline%20region%20cooperatives&f=false (I have this, just ask: T.)
A great list of follow-up references:
Government / Other :
- MEI : https://www.economie.gouv.qc.ca/objectifs/informer/politiques-strategies-plans-daction/page/plans-daction-20192/?no_cache=1&tx_igaffichagepages_pi1%5Bmode%5D=single&tx_igaffichagepages_pi1%5BbackPid%5D=81&tx_igaffichagepages_pi1%5BcurrentCat%5D=&cHash=1cc0c5f186056389bbae0862b7be25fc
- L’Ilot : https://www.lilotcoop.com/
- CDROL : http://www.cdrol.coop/
- Chantier de l’économie social : http://chantier.qc.ca/?lang=en
One thought on “Self Management”